General Writing and Grammar Help/anpther question about "whom"

Question
Dear Ted,

Would you please also help with me with the use of “whom” in the following sentence:
“Whom did you consult?”

Is this a correct sentence? Can you please explain how “whom” is being used in this sentence?

Thank you so much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

“Whom did you consult?”

*** The sentence is correct.  The objective case "whom" is the direct object of the verb "did consult."

Rearrange the question into a statement:

You did consult WHOM?

Rich, I think you are well aware that the overwhelming majority of Americans would say "WHO did you consult?"  They would be wrong, but the overwhelming majority of Americans would not be aware of the grammatical error.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt