General Writing and Grammar Help/Capitalization question

Question
Hi.

I am doing some editing for a project, and am having some trouble determining if certain terms should be capitalized or not.

Terms like "Heavy Graser", "Plasma Cannon", "Graser", "Gatling Battery", "Meson Projector", etc.

The research I did seemed to suggest that they should be considered common nouns, but seeing the words in all lower cases (like "plasma cannon", "gatling battery", "meson projector") really seems wrong to me.  But it has been many years since I have been in school and dealt with English grammar in any formal way. :)

Can you advise me?

Thank you very much.

Answer
I would be delighted to advise you!

When common nouns are used to identify something specific, they are capitalized.

I saw the queen open Parliament.
I saw Queen Elizabeth open Parliament.

You have some common nouns that generally are not but also a man's name (Gatling), which is always capitalized.

In the context here, the common nouns are used to designate specific weapons (I'm going to assume they're weapons!), so all the names should be capitalized (including Gatling, but for a different reason!).

As you have written them in the 3rd paragraph is perfect!
mb

General Writing and Grammar Help

Martha Beth Lewis