General Writing and Grammar Help/Correct word usage

Question
Hi, Jannie.
 I have been looking up what the correct word to use would be in the sentence below but I still don't understand which would be best even though I have read explanations. Could you please explain whether I should be using But or However and why I should. I think But sounds correct but my word keeps telling me to change it.

He imagined a time when Cryck stood by his fatherís side and battled old foes in his fatherís honor. But, old now, Cryck was hardly up to doing battle with anyone, and it was certain that he would never become a lords defender.

Thank you in advance.

Answer
You cannot begin a sentence with "but." That is why your word speller is correcting you.

You use "but" with a comma in one sentence.

He imagined a time when Cryck stood by his fatherís side and battled old foes in his fatherís honor, but, old now, Cryck was hardly up to doing battle with anyone.  It was certain that he would never become a lords defender.

Better structure:

He imagined a time when Cryck stood by his fatherís side and battled old foes in his fatherís honor. Cryck was old now, and hardly up to doing battle with anyone, but, certain that he would never become a lord's defender.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett