General Writing and Grammar Help/difference

How are you?

Which one is correct? And if both are, then what is the difference between them?

a) I have waited for Peter for 2 hours.

b) I have been waiting for Peter for 2 hours.

Thank you

Hi Hame!

Interesting question!

The simple answer is they are the same.  You can use either one in the same situation and they convey the same meaning.

However, technically speaking, B is clear, but A is vague.  Sentence A could mean that you waited for Peter in the present OR at some point in the past.  For example, it's possible that you waited (for two hours) yesterday, or a week ago, or a year ago.  However, since sentence B is in the continuous, it means that it must still be happening now.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.