General Writing and Grammar Help/use of who and whom

Question
Dear Ted,

I hope you will not mind another question concerning the use of “who” vs “whom”.

I just want to make sure that the following sentence is grammatically correct:

“Who is your friend?”

who  =  subject
is  =  linking verb
your  =  adjective
friend  =  predicate noun

I want to make sure that saying – “Whom is your friend” is incorrect.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

Dear Ted,

“Who is your friend?”

who  =  subject
is  =  linking verb
your  =  adjective
friend  =  predicate noun

*** The only change I would make is that "your" is a possessive pronoun, USED as an
adjective.

Rich, when your sentence has a linking verb, most times the sentence can be "tested" by switching the subject and the predicate noun:  Your friend is WHO.

You are right.  Using "whom" in your sentence is VERY incorrect.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt