General Writing and Grammar Help/Make it up to someone

Question
Dear Ted:

I'm asking this question again because I entered the wrong e-mail address. The one that I used in my previous message was closed months ago. Also, I wasn't able to rate your answer.

What does "to make it up to someone" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S.: Ted, how is your recovery proceeding?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

According to the Allexperts page, my message was sent, but you have not yet read it.  If you have a new e-mail address, that would explain why you didn't receive my message.

I am pasting my answer here:

*** The phrase means "to do something good for someone as a reward for something that person has done."

A: May I borrow $10 from you?
B: Yes, here it is.
A: Thank you.  I will make it up to you

Another example:

John, thank you for allowing me to use your car while mine was being repaired.  I will find a way to make it up to you.

Another example:

The city council awarded a special certificate to Jack.  Because of his extraordinary volunteer work, they wanted to make it up to him.

*** I had eye surgery #11 last week.  The colored x-rays show that the bleeding behind my right eyeball has stopped.  I go back in a month for more x-rays, but I will not get an injection.  The injections will begin again, IF the slow bleeding starts again.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt