General Writing and Grammar Help/any)

Please look at A) and B):

A) Do we have any tomatoes?

B) Do you have any idea what the time is?

In Both a) and b), after ANY countable nouns have come, rights? But in a) the noun is plural but in b) is singular. Why?

Would you please tell me when the countable noun after ANY must be plural and when it must be singular?

Thank you

Hi Hame!

Sorry to keep you waiting, and thanks for your patience!

Actually, the simple answer is that any can be used with countable nouns AND uncountable nouns.

With countable nouns, the noun MUST be plural after any.

Sorry it took so long to give you such a simple answer, but I hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.