General Writing and Grammar Help/AAVE

So apparently I am racist, ignorant, stupid and hateful. And I need to know why.
Um.. well here is the thing. I excelled at English and grammar in school. I feel like the proper way to speak English is exactly the way that I am typing this to you.

So, I commented that when certain people speak in ways such as,
"what that is"
"where that be"
"who they be"
"who he do"
Or when they make words that aren't really words and then form words into strings and say they are sentences. such as, "she be a cray THOT no body ain't got no nothin for her coz she so cray"

I feel it's uneducated, and apparently it makes me really racist and ignorant. Apparently this way of speaking is known as AAVE, and it is recognized by all linguistic associations as being A-OK.

So my question is, if people were to write term papers, essays, short stories, and speeches using that type of writing, would it be acceptable? Will you pass your classes? Will you be deemed intelligent?

I just don't understand why that type of speech is acceptable. I feel it is uneducated.

I mean, I'm REALLY REALLY sorry for being ignorant and racist, I didn't mean to be. But it isn't just one race of people who speak this way.. it's many different types of people. I work in customer service and I hear it all day long.

Speech and writing are two different systems.

Most people do not speak in grammatically complete 'sentences'.

Some people use dialects, and other sub-cultures have deliberately ungrammatical usages.

But if they were to WRITE in the same way, they would be breaking the 'rules' of grammar in writing.

Academic writing, such as term papers and essays requires grammatically correct expression.

This applies to all languages - not just English.

I hope that hels.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson

I can answer questions on English language, grammar, writing skills, and study skills. I am particularly experienced in the writing skills required for academic essays, term papers, reports, dissertations, and post-graduate theses.

I have forty years experience as a tutor and as the author of books on writing and study skills. For thirty years I was a tutor for the Workers' Educational Association, which specialises in courses for adult students and preparing mature students for university. I was also a tutor for the Open University between 1975 and 2010. During that time I have also written a number of books on writing and study skills. In the last ten years or more I have specialised in creating computer-aided learning materials and online learning courses.

"Making the Grade" (Manchester University Press) 1990 "Studying Fiction" (Manchester University Press) 1991 "Marking Essays" (Clifton Press) 1993 "Revision and Examinations" (Clifton Press) 1993 "Writing Essays" (Clifton Ress) 1996 "Study Skills" (Clifton Press) 1996 "Electronic Writing" (Clifton Press) 1996 "Improve your Writing Skills" (Clifton Press) 2010 "Writing Essays 3.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program] "English Language 3.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program] "Study Skills 2.0" (Clifton Press) 2008 [computer program]

My first degree was in mechanical engineering (HNC). I then switched to literary studies and philosophy. My second degree was a BA in English and American Literature (from Manchester University - UK). I also have an MA in Comparative Literary Studies, and my doctoral thesis (PhD) was in the relationship between literature and politics.

Amber TV Anglia Polytechnic University Bath Spa University College The Beattie Partnership Blackpool & the Fylde College Bolton, Salford, & Trafford NHS Cedar Health Central Manchester Health Trust City College Manchester Coventry University David Rigby Associates East Lancs NHS Food Standards Agency Graduate Research Institute Granada Studios Higher Education Funding Council Hyde Clarendon College Kellogg’s UK Kingsmill Health Trust Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Liverpool University Manchester Airport Manchester City Council Manchester Metropolitan University MANCAT Manchester PCT (NHS) Manchester TEC North East Lancs PCT NorthWest Learning Grid Oldham Business School Open University Parrs Wood College Runshaw College Salford Mental Health Trust Save the Children Fund South Manchester Health Trust St John Rigby College St Mary’s Catholic High School SwimTime University of Bolton University of Central Lancs University College Chester University of Huddersfield University of Hull University of Manchester University of Salford West London Health Trust Winstanley College Manchester NHS Xaverian College