General Writing and Grammar Help/idioms or collocation?

In your opinion, what do you think would be more beneficial to teach international academic students, idioms or collocation? and why do you think that is?

Hi Amirah, sorry for the delay.

In my opinion I think that collocation would be more useful. There are certain phrases within English that are fairly universal for collocation; big money, strong tea, etc. Those collocation phrases are well understood throughout the United States. Idiomatic expressions, on the other hand, are often only useful in certain regions of the country. So, unless one was sure which part of the country they were communicating with, they might learn idiomatic expressions that the people around them don't know.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)