General Writing and Grammar Help/idioms or collocation?

Question
QUESTION: Hi :)
In your opinion, what do you think would be more beneficial to teach international academic students, idioms or collocation? and why do you think that is?

ANSWER: Hello Amirah

In my opinion - neither.

It would be far more useful to make them acquainted with the vocabulary, syntax, and rhythms of good quality English - by encouraging them to read and anylse classic prose - fiction and non-fiction.

Other people might disagree with me of course

Best wishes

QUESTION: Thanks for you answer :) and for the really fast reply too!
But I was wondering  if their basic syntax is good and the have good knowledge of vocabulary then which would you choose?

Thanks again :)

Answer
I would probably choose to explain idioms

Because these are always puzzling to non-native speakers (in any language)

And collocations come dangerously close to teaching cliche

so if it is a choic between the two - go for idioms

but you can only say what they MEAN

There is no rational explanation for "It's raining cats and dogs"

cheers  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Roy Johnson