General Writing and Grammar Help/any+...

How are you?

I have a question: If after  "any" a countable noun comes, then should the noun be singular or plural?

Thank you so much

Best wishes

Hello Hame,

I am doing great and I hope you are too.

Consider this:

Uncountable nouns are nouns which come in a state or quantity which is impossible to count; liquids are uncountable, as are things which act like liquids (sand, air) They’re always considered to be singular, and can be used with a, some, any, a little, and much.
Example:  Is there any information you can give me?  (Information is uncountable).

Countable nouns are nouns which can be counted, even if the number might be extraordinarily high (like counting all the people in the world). Countable nouns can be used with a/an, the, some, any, a few, and many.  We don't usually use 'any' with singular countable nouns.
Example:  I don't have any new clothes to wear. (clothes is a countable noun and it is plural).

However, one can say, "Any good book is worth reading."  Here 'any' has a different meaning to indicate it does not matter which one.

I think this would be a good reference for you:

Dr. D  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess

Essays--I can assist students with questions concerning the process of writing an essay including preparation of an outline, development of a topic, development of the thesis statement and topic sentences, and paragraph development. I can assist students in helping them determine the proper rhetorical modes for their essay (narration, illustration, description, process analysis, comparison and contrast, and argumentation. I am able to answer questions concerning rules of style for a research paper including referencing sources. I am able to address questions regarding punctuation and grammar.

I teach a writing workshop for the University of Phoenix (Richmond Campus) and two college courses: Essentials of College Writing and Elements of Composition.

Doctor of Management--University of Phoenix Masters in Human Resources--George Washington University B.A.--French and Linguistics, Oakland University