General Writing and Grammar Help/rather than.....

Hope you are fine.

Which one is correct? Please explain your reasons.

"Rather than ............. his homework, Paul decided to watch TV."
a) doing
b) do
c) to do

Thank you so much

Rather than ............. his homework, Paul decided to watch TV

Both DOING and DO are correct, because we require an infinitive / a gerund (a noun-equivalent after THAN).

Here, in rather than DO  , DO is an infinitive, the TO being implied. An analogous construct would be:

He preferred watching the TV than doing the home-work.  
OR: He preferred to watch the TV than to do his home-work.  

Similarly, Paul decided to watch the TV rather than (to) do his home-work.  

But a gerund (in many cases) may be a substitute in the place of an infinitive. Examples:

He likes to play = He likes playing.  

To drive a motor car requires skill = Driving a motor car requires skill.  
Conclusion : first preference DO (infinitive with TO implied).
Second preference DOING (a gerund, acting as a noun after THAN.
TO DO is not the accepted usage, although DO means TO DO. Let the word TO be implied, and use DO as an infinitive.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Those related to general and creative writings, usage, grammar, sentence construct, conversational English, etc. We also advise on ways to improve language skills, creative write-ups, grammar, phonetics, accent, spoken English, interview handling tips, group discussion, debating, public speaking, etc.

I have been the co-ordinator of Easy Elite English, which delas in training youth in English Speaking and Communication Skills, Writing, Public Speaking, Debating, etc. I develop teaching materials, both audio-visuals as well as text, and also am the head of faculty training.

LEWWWP, Integrated Youth Education Resource, EEE, EFL, TCW, TEL.

I have several blogs and e-publications. Published poems and short stories in national dailies, international magazines and e-zines. Author of ICSE Computer Applications - school textbook for Class X students.

After my graduation, did special research online on teaching English [spelling, pronunciation, sentence construct, etc] to elementary children. Now I have the qualification to conduct online classes. Member of several global English Learning and Teaching Centers as well as Honorary teacher at LEWWWP.

Regarded as the most helpful voluntary teacher in several sites. Got the best Faculty Trainers Award from EEE.

Now I am self-employed, other than working as a Content developer and faculty Training and Placement Head for EEE and Integrated Youth education Resource. A voluntary teacher at Learning English With World Wide Perspective.