General Writing and Grammar Help/abstracts

Question
Hello,

Do abstracts come before or after writing the body of a research paper? It seems like it should come after writing the body, but we are required to submit an abstract before that. This is for a 30+ page capstone research paper.

Thanks

Answer
Hello Ian,

In most cases, the abstract is written after the research is complete because the abstract does describe the findings and results.  However, your professor may be using the abstract as a framework for your research so that he/she can see if you are on track with your pape)r.  According to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association(2010, if you were writing an theory-oriented paper, you would discuss in your abstract the theory and how it works and linkages to other theories. At this point, you do not know the outcome, but you might be able to speculate.

Best regards,

Dr. D.

Reference
American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Deborah Burgess