General Writing and Grammar Help/Be around - be through

Question
Dear Ted:

If the following two sentences are both correct, do they have the same meaning?

1) We've been AROUND this before.

2) We've been THROUGH this before.

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) We've been AROUND this before.

2) We've been THROUGH this before.

*** If you use "around," you are suggesting a circular motion, usually one that repeats itself too many times.  

EXAMPLE:  The English teacher has tried many times to explain to his students what is meant by a "sentence fragment."  Yet, they continue to commit this error.  He says to the class, "We've been AROUND this before; in fact, we've been AROUND this many, many times.  Why do you not understand?"

*** In my opinion, using THROUGH does not suggest more than two times -- although it "might."  EXAMPLE:  The English teacher says to his class, "We've been THROUGH the eight parts of speech before.  I see no reason to go over the material again."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt