General Writing and Grammar Help/Come, come around

Question
Dear Ted:

Are the following two examples correct? If so, do they mean the same thing?

1) I asked Robert when he could fix my leaking tap. He said that he would come ROUND and fix it as soon as possible.

2) I asked Robert when he could fix my leaking tap. He said that he would come and fix it as soon as possible.

By the way, do you say, "He said that he would come/come round AND fix it as soon as possible" or "He said that he would come/come round TO fix it as soon as possible"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Either way is good.  They are correct, and they mean the same thing.

**** "come round TO fix it" is the correct form.  The infinitive "to fix" is used as an adverb telling WHY Robert is coming.

Paolo, there is another phrase that can be used:  "come AROUND to fix it."  Some people prefer using "around," but other people are happy with dropping the "a" at the word's start.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt