General Writing and Grammar Help/English Grammar

Question
QUESTION: Dear Ted,

I have a question about the tense of the below sentence.

"Documents have been reviewed and are found to be in compliance with the relevant requirements of us. "---I think present Tense"are found to be"is not correct .

I have tried to search the different expressions on google ,but the results  made me confused .I would like to know which one is correct or better in your eyes? Thanks in advance for your help.

1) Documents have been reviewed and are found to be in compliance with the relevant requirements of us.    
2) Documents have been reviewed and were found to be ---- google 26,000,000
3) Documents have been reviewed and found to be----google 24,400,000
4) Documents have been reviewed and been found to be---- google 1,390,000

Look forward to your prompt reply .
Best regards,
Jasmine

ANSWER: Dear Jasmine:

*** Using Google is not a good idea for finding the correct tense.  There are just too many people who do not USE correct tenses.

Here is the correct version of your sentence:

We have reviewed the documents and have found them to be in compliance with our relevant requirements.

*** I replaced the passive voice verb, which are weak, and use the active voice with WE as the subject.  [WE did the reviewing and finding.]

*** Since both the reviewing and the finding were done BEFORE the time of speaking [the present time], the present perfect tense should be used.  The reviewing and finding began at some unknown time in the past, but both of these activities were finished by the time the statement is made.

*** Requirements of us" is very poor phrasing.  I changed it to the correct form, "OUR requirements."  [Actually, the adverb "relevantly" is not necessary.  The documents either fit your requirement or they don't.  "Relevancy" is covered by their "fitting."

Ted Nesbitt

P. S.  I think the name "Jasmine" is beautiful!

QUESTION: Dear Ted,
Thank you so much for your prmpt reply and your suggestions.
I would like to know if active voice is still better than passive voice verd if the below sentence is to be used in formal certificate or notice ?

such as "This is to certify that we have reviewed the drawings and documents submitted by your kind company and have found them to be in compliance with our requirements ."   Is it correct ?

Have a nice day!

Answer
Dear Jasmine:

PROJECT FOR YOU:  Please send me a question to Allexperts with the subject line "Learning Express" and the message "Please send me the link."

I will send you a link that you POSSIBLY may be able to access.

Thank you.

Ted

********************************************************************

Thank you for your evaluation.  Now, my Allexperts inbox is clear.

***

I would like to know if active voice is still better than passive voice verd if
the below sentence is to be used in formal certificate or notice ?

such as "This is to certify that we have reviewed the drawings and documents
submitted by your kind company and have found them to be in compliance with our
requirements ."   Is it correct ?

*** Congratulations!  Your revised sentence is excellent.  All the verbs are in the active voice, which makes a much stronger sentence.

WE did the reviewing
YOUR COMPANY did the submitting
WE did the finding

When you have the subject of the verb DOING the action of the verb, your writing is much clearer and stronger.  Reserve the use of the PASSIVE VOICE VERBS for very special and rare occasions.

EXAMPLE:  The laboratory results WERE FINISHED.  This use of the passive voice "were finished" is acceptable, because (1) we know that the results didn't finish themselves, but (2) we have no idea WHO did the actual finishing.

Also, Jasmine, I tend to be very demanding when I read another person's writing.  Let me point out that you committed two spelling [or typographical errors] when asking your question:  "prmpt" should be "prompt" and "verd" should be "verb."

Keep up the good work!

Ted Nesbitt

P. S.  Don't forget to evaluate this answer.  Thank you.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt