General Writing and Grammar Help/Get a fix

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to get a fix" mean? Does it have a figurative or idiomatic meaning?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** "Get a fix" has two meanings.  

1.  "To pinpoint the location of something" -- The police were able to get a fix on where the cell phone was located.  

By determining the latitude and longitude, the Coast Guard got a fix on the location where the ship went down.

2.  "To satisfy the desire for a drug" -- John is a heroin addict, and he desperate needed to get a fix.

Only after Jennifer got a fix did her nausea and violent shaking stop.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt