General Writing and Grammar Help/Grammar Question: Usage of "Omit" versus "Exclude"

Question
What is the difference between using "omit" and "exclude"? Example: "There may be relatives who have been excluded from the will altogether."

If I use the word "omitted," does that indicate that the act was intentional? Or, does the use of the word "excluded" indicated that it was intentional?

Answer
Dear Renata:

*** "Omit" suggests that the leaving out of a person or thing is not intentional.  They are "slips" or "errors."

You are CORRECT about the verb "exclude."  If I choose to exclude a person from my party, I am doing it intentionally.  I do NOT want that person there.

EXAMPLES:

Mary checked her guest list to make sure she did not OMIT anyone.

Jane checked her guest list to find people she intended to EXCLUDE.

*** Renata, you are correct in your questioning about the difference between the two words.  Most people think they mean the same.

Good for you!

Ted Nesbitt

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt