General Writing and Grammar Help/The meaning

Question
Dear Ted,

Happy New Year!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply each time!

I read of a sentence: USA strikes gold first, crowds mixed.

What is the meaning of "crowds mixed?"

Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Walden

Answer
Dear Walden:

What is the meaning of "crowds mixed?"

*** It means that the crowd had different reactions to the USA's winning the first gold medal.
Some of the people liked the win, but other spectators were not happy with the USA, either for being the first to win or because their favorite was not the winner.

It could also mean that the USA team is not welcome by all the people at the Olympics.  Some people feel that the USA is too dominant in these games.  Other people may not like the way the entire country, the USA, is viewed in the political world.  Although the Olympics are viewed as NON-POLITICAL, we know that the games are filled with political  problems.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt