General Writing and Grammar Help/nouns used as adjectives

Question
Dear Ted,

Can you please tell me if the noun “river” is being used as an adjective in the following sentence:
“The low river level was reassuring.”

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich:

PROJECT FOR YOU:  Please send me a question to Allexperts with the subject line "Learning Express" and the message "Please send me the link."

I will send you a link that you POSSIBLY may be able to access.

Thank you.

Ted

*************************************

Can you please tell me if the noun “river” is being used as an adjective in the
following sentence:
“The low river level was reassuring.”

*** Yes, it is.  There are two adjectives that describe the noun "level," and they are "low" and "river."

Another way to express the idea is this:

The low level of the river was reassuring.

You ask yourself WHAT was reassuring.  The only answer possible is "level."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt