General Writing and Grammar Help/part of the lyrics

Dear Sally, what does "get to me" stand for in the below?

It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me

from South Korea

Hi, Yangkun,

You have to use the whole phrase, with the negation: "can't get to me," to understand it. It means "can't bother me."

Usually, "get to me" means deeply affect in some way. For this song, it means the fears can't bother this singer/writer any more because enough time has passed ("distance") to make them seem unimportant ("small").

I hope that helps.

Please rate my answer.

Best to you.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.