General Writing and Grammar Help/Be at someone's place - be over at someone's place

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to be at someone's place" and "to be OVER at someone's place"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, how is your recovery going along?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there a difference between "to be at someone's place" and "to be OVER at
someone's place"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

*** The only difference is that the use of "over" suggests that the location is near to you.  "I'll be OVER AT John's house" suggests that John lives near you.  However, if you are visiting your grandparents, who live 500 miles away, you would NEVER use "over."

OTHER EXAMPLES:

All the children from the neighborhood are going to attend Mary's party, which will be held OVER AT her house.

I will travel by train to Bill's apartment in London.  I will be AT his place for a week.

Ted

P. S.  I have my next eyeball shot tomorrow morning.  I'll get a progress report then.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt