General Writing and Grammar Help/Short OF or ON ideas

Question
Dear Ted:

Do you say, "to be or run short OF ideas" or "to be or run short ON ideas"?

In other words, which of the two prepositions should I use after the phrase "to be or run short.....ideas"?

Also, is it possible to "fall short OF or ON ideas"?

Finally, can you suggest other verbs that go with the phrase ".....short OF / ON ideas"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Paolo, both of the phrases are used, and they mean the same thing.  I did a Google search to get a count of their usages.  "Short on" retrieved 92,000 hits.  "Short of" returned more than 1.2 million hits.  Although either can be used, my personal preference is "short of ideas."

*** Yes, you can use the verb "fall."

*** The most obvious and the most used, by far, is a form of the verb "to be."

EXAMPLES:

I am short of ideas.

John Grisham developed "writer's block."  He found himself to be short of ideas.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt