General Writing and Grammar Help/unemployment rate

Question
When I look up "unemployment" in the dictionary it is listed as a noun only, but when used in conjunction with "rate" it appears to act as an adjective, e.g.

The unemployment rate in the US is 7%.

Is unemployment also an adjective?

Lots of other nouns also are commonly used with "rate" or "capital" and appear to be acting as adjectives as well.

Answer
Hi Steve!

Thanks for the question.  This is actually a pretty common question about non-native speakers.

To answer your question, unemployment IS, in fact, a noun.  However, any noun can be used in this way as an adjective, specifically called a "modifier".  A modifier is any word, usually a noun, that basically just "acts" as an adjective for the purpose of the expression.  Other common examples of this are "basketball" in "basketball shoes" or "ice" in "ice cream".  In both cases, basketball and ice in and of themselves are nouns, but in those particular contexts, they become modifiers.

Hope that helps!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian