General Writing and Grammar Help/Word Order in questions

Hi Im not an native speaker so I have some doubts about how to correctly build a sentence like:

"I dont know why are we fighting" or should it be "I dont know why we are fighting".

Also on the same subject: should it end with a question mark? What type of sentence is this, is it a rethoric question maybe?

hi, Pablo,

The second choice is better, but still has one or two errors.
It should be:
"I don't know why we are fighting." in USA English.
1) In USA English, the period goes inside the quotation marks; in Britain/UK English, it goes outside (after).
2) In both, don't requires an apostrophe.  

It does not require a question mark unless you frame it as a question, such as: "Why are we fighting? I don't know why we are fighting."

Best to you. Please rate my response.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.