General Writing and Grammar Help/Word "Renowned"

Hi Sally,

could you please explain to me the use of the word "renowned"?

I know that one can use the word as follows:
The club became renowned for helping the poor.
Tourists can visit renowned attractions in the city.
The company is renowned as an industry leader.

But can you also say:
New York is renowned for its cultural attractions?
or is it better to say:
New York is well known for its cultural attractions?

Thank you

Guten Tag!

These are both "correct" regarding grammar and usage. However, natives would usually say it the second way.
1. New York is renowned for its cultural attractions.

2. New York is well-known for its cultural attractions.

I added the hyphen between "well" and "known" because that is correct, but almost no one remembers to use the correct hyphens, so you will often see the words together with no hyphen.

Best to you. Please rate my response.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Sally Ember, Ed.D.

I can answer any grammar, writing, reading, editing and proofreading questions for nonfiction, fiction, literary criticism. I can also help in most content areas except for hard science and narrow areas of history. Specialize in E.S.L. , those with learning disabilities and processing problems. Clarity, fun, and simple answers as well as assisting with improving to excellence.

Many years teaching K - 12 and college-level writing. Degrees in education through doctorate. Published nonfiction and fiction writer.

Publications Google me

B.A., Elementary Ed., social science/language arts concentrations Experience teaching high school and college Master's and doctorate in education Writing instructor at secondary and post-secondary levels, including GRE and SAT preparation high scores on PSAT, SAT, GRE and National Teaching Exams

National Merit Scholar, 1971 Phi Beta Kappa Summa Cum Laude, B.A.