General Writing and Grammar Help/Get down on it - get down to it

Question
Dear Ted:

With the use of some examples, would you please explain the difference between "get down ON it" and "get down TO it"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** I know of only one example for "get down ON it."  It is the title of a popular song by Cool and the Gang.  Other rock groups have used the expression.  Here's the meaning from an online slang dictionary:

It means to start moving your body to the song (let loose, don't control or limit yourself).

*** "Get down TO it" means to start working on some project:  If we want to have the decorations for the dance done on time, we had better get down TO it.

*** It has another meaning:  to get to the basics of something.  We have to get down TO the original formula to find a better solution to the problem.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt