General Writing and Grammar Help/Keep something in the family

Question
Dear Ted:

Does "to keep something in the family" exist?

If so, would you please give me some examples of how to use it correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Yes, the phrase exists.  To the best of my knowledge, it can be used for just two instances:

1.  Something of significance to a family -- house, land, precious jewelry, certain furniture, etc. -- is passed on from one generation to another.  That item is usually rare or expensive.  It can also be something of sentimental value.

The Johnson's farm has been kept in their family for seven generation.

This Bible has been kept in our family for many years.  It contains a complete family tree from 1620 to the preset day.

2.  Some deep secret that is shared by very few people, such as certain members of a family.

James was adopted when he was a baby.  Only his father and mother knew about the adoption; it was kept guarded from the other members of the family.

Every family has certain secrets that are kept from other members of the family and from the public.  They are called our "skeletons in the closet."

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt