General Writing and Grammar Help/Keep something straight

Question
Dear Ted:

What does "to keep something straight" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase correctly?

Also, is it possible "to keep SOMEONE straight"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The phrase means that two people will be honest with each other.  [Of course, it can also mean that one person will be honest with other PEOPLE.]

Jim says to his roommate:  "John, we are sharing this room and we need to have some rules.  I have made up a list of items that we should KEEP STRAIGHT between us."

Mary says to her two closest friends:  "I have a secret that I must share with you, BUT you must promise to KEEP IT STRAIGHT among the three of us."

*** Yes, but in this sense, the phrase usually means that you keep the "someone" from drinking and/or using drugs.  John has been straight for six months.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt