General Writing and Grammar Help/Be mistaken

Question
Dear Ted:

When do you use the infintive phrase "to be mistaken"?

Would you please give me a few examples?

By the way, is it an infinitive phrase?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

** You use the phrase when someone SEEMS to have made a mistake.

President Obama appeared TO BE MISTAKEN when he thought he could scare Vladimir Putin.

After the recount of the ballots, the original tally was considered TO BE MISTAKEN.  The secretary accepted the revised count as the correct one.

By the way, is it an infinitive phrase? -- YES, IT IS.

Ted

Paolo -- Do you remember the chocolate spoons you sent me as a gift, many years ago?  They were FANTASTIC, and none of my co-workers had ever seen them before.  [I did not share them.]

I discourage gift-giving, because I look on my service AS my own gift to others.  But, yesterday, I got a package from a girl in Vietnam.  I had helped her with her college essays, for attending schools in the United States.  She has already been accept at two of the three and is awaiting to hear from the third.  The package was a piece of silk on which a Vietnamese landscape had been embroidered.  I opened it at the library, and everyone was envious.  So, two gifts in 14 years!

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt