General Writing and Grammar Help/RE: Keep something straight

Question
Dear Ted:

At the end of your answer to my question about the meaning of "to keep something straight," you wrote this:

*** Yes, but in this sense, the phrase usually means that you keep the "someone" from drinking and/or using drugs.  John has been straight for six months.

My question is the following:

Why did you use the article "the" before "someone"?

Again, many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** Yes, but in this sense, the phrase usually means that you keep the "someone"
from drinking and/or using drugs.  John has been straight for six months.

My question is the following:

*** I could have omitted "the," but I wanted to emphasize the word "someone."  The usage of an article before a noun or pronoun -- when it is not actually needed -- is called "the stressed article."  It simply calls attention to or emphasizes the pronoun "someone."

Another example:  This year, our team is THE team to beat.  [This year, our team will be unbeatable.]

John told his mother he had found a wonderful way to make money.  She had no idea that "THE WAY" was selling drugs.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt