General Writing and Grammar Help/The splits or a split

Question
How would you describe the act of doing a "split" or "the splits"?   I am trying to settle an argument and am wondering which way is grammatically correct?

Thanks!

Answer
Dear Mike:

*** I just thought of something:  If the cheerleader is leaping into the air, holding in each hand a dish containing a divided banana, ice cream, whipped cream, and a cherry, then
should would be holding her SPLITS while doing her SPLIT.

*****

*** If you mean the activity that cheerleaders and acrobats do, the word is SPLIT.  "The act of lowering oneself to the floor or leaping into the air with legs extended at right angles to the trunk." [Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary]

I don't know which side of the argument you are on, but Webster doesn't give a plural form.

I suppose you could say, "She is doing her SPLITS," but that sounds kind of indecent to my ears.  I think that a split is NOT part of a series.  It is by itself and should remain singular.

Ted Nesbitt

P. S.  I will leap in the air with my legs extended if you give me high ratings and consider my nomination as volunteer of the month.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt