General Writing and Grammar Help/'The splits' or a 'split

Question
How would you describe the act of doing a "split" or "the splits"?   I am trying to settle an argument and am wondering which way is grammatically correct?

Thanks!

Answer
Mike,

I was hoping to give you a simple, straight-forward answer, but there is one! This is really out of my area of expertise but as I understand it, but are correct grammatically since one can do split and one can also do the splits.

The difference is in the position of the legs. The splits, generally done by females, places the torso to the ground with one leg forward and one behind. Men have difficulty doing this because of their testicles. Doing a split is a simpler move where the legs are perpendicular to each other.

Again, a very long answer to a simple question but that's the best I can do.

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone