General Writing and Grammar Help/Stressed article, the

Question
Dear Ted:

Where on the Internet can I find information about/on when and how to use the "stressed article"? I tried a Google search but nothing interesting appeared.

By the way, is it correct to say, ".....but nothing interesting APPEARED" or should I have written, ".....but nothing interesting CAME UP"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is the question "Where on the Internet can I find information about/on when AND how to use the 'stressed article'?" correctly formulated or should I have written, "Where on the Internet can I find information about/on when OR how to use the 'stressed article'?" If the sentence is badly written, would you please rephrase it for me?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

I apologize for being late in answering. I had my fourth eye surgery, and I have been unable to see clearly.

*****

*** You can't.  I had this question several years ago, and I could not find an answer.  I went to our university's grammar expert, and he searched many grammar books.  He finally found "stressed article" in a grammar/semantics book published in the 1950s.  The question I had received involved the use of "The" in the official title of "THE Ohio State University."  It is a peculiar situation, because all other schools do NOT use the article "the" in their official titles:  Harvard University, Oxford University, Pennsylvania State University, Yale University, etc.  I did some research and found that, because there was another university in the state of Ohio, Ohio University, the people at The Ohio State University wanted their school to "stand out."  That's when they asked the legislature of Ohio to include "The" as part of their official name.  The legislature agreed and the governor signed the law into being.  

Here's another example of the "stressed article."  I go into a bookstore and say, "I want THE book that is the most popular grammar book."

It is a very strange situation, which very rarely exists.

*** Either one can be used.

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

**** I find either option to be correct.  My suggestion, however, is this:  Where on the Internet can I find information about the usage of the "stressed article?

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt