General Writing and Grammar Help/Up to today

Dear Ted:

Does the prepositional phrase "up to today" exist?

If so, would you please give me some examples of how to use it correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Dear Paolo:

*** Yes, it does exist.  However, most people would use the phrase, "up to now."

*** UP TO TODAY, I supported Barack Obama.  His recent actions, however, have changed my
opinion of him.

NOTE:  The sentence indicates that Obama did something very recently, and that's why I changed my opinion TODAY.

*** UP TO NOW, I have answered more than 10,000 questions at Allexperts.

NOTE:  Although this sentence does not specify any particular date, "now" suggests that I checked my Allexperts profile very recently.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy