General Writing and Grammar Help/Go out, get out

Question
Dear Ted:

If the following two sentences are both correct, do they mean the same thing?

1) She thinks her brother is a nerd who doesn't GO OUT enough.

2) She thinks her brother is a nerd who doesn't GET OUT enough.

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

*** The two sentences mean the same thing.  The only difference lies in the subtlety of the two verbs. "GO OUT" is active; it suggests that the brother CHOOSES to remain at home.

However, "GET OUT" is rather passive.  I use the word "rather," because I would need to see the context.  To me, "getting out" sounds as if someone is "letting" or "allowing" the other person to go from one place to another.  "When do you GET OUT of jail?"  I intend to GO OUT for a twenty-mile run tomorrow.

*** The difference is slight, but there is a nuance between the two verbs.  [Most people wouldn't even notice it.]

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt