General Writing and Grammar Help/Get through something

Dear Ted:

What does "to get through something" mean?

Would you please give me some examples of how to use the above phrase correctly?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Dear Paolo:

*** It means "to survive"  If you have to GET THROUGH something, that something is most likely NOT pleasant.

Even though Mary struggled to keep from crying, she was able TO GET THROUGH her father's funeral.

Near the end of the marathon, Matt thought to himself, "If I can just GET THROUGH the last mile, I will have accomplished my goal."

Jim stayed up all night studying for the examination.  He was so sleepy taking the test, he did not think he would GET THROUGH it.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt

I am the bibliographic instruction and reference librarian at a public college. Some members of the English department recommend me to their students. I offer assistance in grammar, punctuation, sentence structure, and paragraph development. My master`s thesis concerns William Faulkner`s tragic novels. I formerly taught advanced placement English at two schools in the Philadelphia area.

I have been one of the highest-ranked volunteers in this category for more than a decade.

B. A. and M. A in English; MSIS in Library & Information Sciences; graduate study in philosophy