General Writing and Grammar Help/Conjunction Question

Question
Dear Jannie, I have a question about the following sentence.  
    "The soldiers do not question or are concerned about their duties in this war."  

In the above statement, is it correct that this sentence means that the soldiers do not question their duties in this war and are not concerned about their duties in this war?

I ask because the conjunction used in the above sentence is "or".  However the second part of the sentence does not contain a negative, therefore, I am unsure if this second have is still interpreted as a negative statement(i.e., "are not concerned about their duties in this war").  
 I very much need your assistance.

Answer
Proper sentence:

"The soldiers are not concerned about their duties in the war and do not question."  

Or:

"Soldiers do not question and are not concerned about their duties in this war."  

Or:

"The soldiers do not question their duties in the war or question their duties."  

You cannot put "or are" together as presented. "Or" implies a difference of "are" and you are trying to convey they are not concerned of both, NOT one or the other.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jannie Balliett