General Writing and Grammar Help/Conjunction Question

Dear Johnathan, I have a question about the following sentence.  
    "The soldiers do not question or are concerned about their duties in this war."  

In the above statement, is it correct that this sentence means that the soldiers do not question their duties in this war and are not concerned about their duties in this war?

I ask because the conjunction used in the above sentence is "or".  However the second part of the sentence does not contain a negative, therefore, I am unsure if this second have is still interpreted as a negative statement(i.e., "are not concerned about their duties in this war").  
 I very much need your assistance."

Hi Laura,

The sentence that you are asking about could be written better. But, the answer to your question is yes, the soldiers do not question their duties, and the soldier are not concerned about their duties. This is a more informal way of writing this out and it could be done with less confusion, but your interpretation is correct.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)