General Writing and Grammar Help/A grammatical question

Hi, I am one of English learners as a second language, and I have a question: How do I distinguish between the verbs "pile" and "stack" when I make a sentence and/or conversation?

The key difference between pile and stack is orderliness. Pile implies items that are randomly thrown. For example, I have a pile of newspapers and magazines thrown into a corner in the basement.

On the other hand, there is a stack of files on my desk waiting to be processed.

I hope that helps,

Jerry Leone

General Writing and Grammar Help

Jerry Leone

I`ve taught writing or some aspect of the English language for nearly 35 years. I can answer nearly any question on grammar, usage or meanings of words above dictionary usage. An avid crossword fan and writer, I can also answer questions about business presentations and resumes.

I have worked with words all my life as a teacher of the language and as an amateur and professional writer. Communication is a vital force in my life and everyone else's.

Sigma Delta Chi, NY Press Association, NY Publishers Association

BA in English from the University of Buffalo, MEd in English from SUNY Buffalo, MA in English Literature from SUNY Buffalo. Course work in Journalism from Syracuse Univ., in Linguistics from Rutgers Univ. and Journalism from Univ. of Texas and Ohio Univesrity.

Chancellor's Award for Excellence Teaching SUNY, Distinguished Teaching Award SUNY Morrisville, Who's Who in American Journalism Education