General Writing and Grammar Help/Make it pass - pass

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to pass something" and "to make it past something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** TO PASS SOMETHING means that a person has reached a goal, such as getting a passing grade on an examination.

EXAMPLES:  I must PASS my oral examination before I receive my doctoral degree.

The driver of the truck ahead of me was traveling erratically and dangerously.  I tried to PASS him, so that I would not be involved in an accident he might cause.

*** TO MAKE IT PAST SOMETHING has a sense of urgency, as if accomplishing the "passing" is a desperate need.

EXAMPLES:  I am going to try very hard to MAKE IT PAST the erratically-driven truck that is in front of me on the highway.

If I can MAKE IT PAST the traffic jam, I just might make my airline flight on time.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt