General Writing and Grammar Help/Reading Comprehension

Question
Dear Ted,
While reading a text about an Italian young violinist, I came across this sentence (Actually it's a quotation from her father about her):
"When she plays the violin, she's passionate - that's the Italian in her. When I see her play, I often cry."
What does 'that's the Italian in her' mean actually?
I'd be grateful if you can help me with it.

Answer
Dear Bob:

*** I can see why you have a problem with the phrase; it is an idiom, and it is not often used.

Let me give you a different example:  John is a young man, and he is very good at playing different sports.  John's mother is also athletic; John's father has always stayed away from playing any sport, because he tends to be clumsy and makes many errors.  Some people use this idiom:  John takes after his mother.  Other people might use this idiom:  John is very athletic; that's his mother in him.

Your quoted passage means that the violinist has an Italian trait in her general makeup or personality.  That trait is her passionate nature.  [Italians are known to be very passionate about everything.]

"That's the Italian in her" means that the Italian part of her background [or her personality] shows through:  She plays the violin very passionately, like an Italian would.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt