General Writing and Grammar Help/which sentence is correct ?

Question
During the family celebration, the little boy was crying because He was ignored.
During the family celebration, the little boy was crying because He was being ignored.

Which sentence is correct ? and Why ?

My English could be not good, I hope you don't mind !!

Thanks for your help !!

Answer
Dear Keone:

You are now the FIFTH Vietnamese student to contact me.  That is WONDERFUL!. I have a feeling that some other Vietnamese student may have recommended my service to you.

I request only two things:  Please evaluated my response highly, but fairly.  And, I also
appreciate being nominated as "volunteer of the month."

****************

Which sentence is correct ? and Why ?

*** First of all, you should not capitalize the word "he."

*** The second sentence is the correct one.  The reason is that the sentence refers to the family celebration as if it is happening -- "during the family celebration."  We know that the sentence is in the past, but the word "during" suggests that the sentence is about something happened IN the past, but it was OCCURRING at that past time.  Using "was ignored" [as in the first sentence] is the simple past.  However, you need to indicate a progression that was happening in the past.  That progression calls for the "past progressive form" of the verb.  That form is "WAS BEING ignored."

*** All "-ing" to the end of the verb gives that verb the sense of something that is happening over a period of time.  The little boy did not cry JUST ONCE.  He cried DURING the family celebration, and that suggests that his crying began at one point and continued for a while.  Perhaps he cried throughout the celebration.  Children are known to cry at length when they do not get the attention they want.

Thanks for your help !!

*** Keone, I promise to help you improve your English.  Keep contacting me and I will continue to help you.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt