General Writing and Grammar Help/Get set for, get ready for

Question
Dear Ted:

Is there a difference between "to get SET for something" and "to get READY for something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, does the phrase "to get set or ready for DOING something" exist?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

P.S. Ted, is your hip healing well?

Answer
Dear Paolo:

Is there a difference between "to get SET for something" and "to get READY for
something"?

If so, when should I use each of them?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** Yes, the two phrases do exist, and they essentially have the same meaning.

EXAMPLES:

Jane is getting READY to start her vacation.

John got SET to take the bar exam by studying hundreds of legal cases.

Mary is getting READY for STARTING her campaign for class president.

*** Paolo, in this country, races [running, bicycling, swimming, etc.] usually start with these phrases.  For example, when the official starter calls out "Get ready," the runners take their positions at the starting blocks.  When the starter calls out "Get set," they
"crouch" into position with their heels wedged against the starting blocks.  Finally, the starter yells "Go!"    In this particular example, the two phrases mean something different, in that they indicate two actions that take place before the contestants begin to run.

In other instances, however, the phrases can be interchanged.

Ted

I have another appointment with my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow afternoon.  I think that my hip is completely healed, although the weather affects my left leg considerably.  Hopefully, with the coming of warm weather and the decrease in dampness, I'll be getting around with no problems.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt