General Writing and Grammar Help/I and me usage

Constantly on newscasts and in conversations I hear people say “between Bob and I” and “for Joan and I.” It is so common, I wonder if “I”” used as an object of a preposition is now considered correct or allowable?

Hi Jennifer,

In English language the phrasing that you are asking about is actually the correct, formal way to conduct the conversation. It is proper to say "Tom and I" or "Melissa and I".  Despite this being the proper way, most Americans use an incorrect or informal way of speaking. Many people say "me and Tom", which is incorrect. As the speaker, the reference to yourself should come last, which some people are aware of, which is why you hear some people say "Tom and me", but this is also incorrect.

I is considered a Subject Pronoun, whereas Me is an object pronoun. Subject Pronouns (I) refers to the person performing the action of a verb. Object Pronouns (Me) refers to the person that the action of a verb is being done to, or to whom a preposition refers.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)