General Writing and Grammar Help/vocabulary

Question
Salam,
Dear Johnathan,
There is a test ,but I think two different correct answers, one says Record (choice4) and the second says Release (choice3). Which one can be the best and why?

His job is to count and ................ the number of people who were hurt or killed during the quake.
1) remove   2) research   3) release   4) record

Regards.
A.Zahiri

Answer
Salam Akbar,

I can see how this question would seem like a trap. I definitely understand your logic in thinking that choice 3 might be viable. In this case, the answer would be #4: Record. A researcher will gather data (by counting in this case) and then record their findings. If you were operating on the assumption that this person was a medical worker or something similar then I can see how "release" might seem appropriate. However, if you examine the fact that he is counting the number of those people who were injured and killed, then release makes less sense. While you might be able to release injured people back to their homes, it would be more difficult to release people who are deceased in the same context. The most logical answer is record.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn