General Writing and Grammar Help/Brandi and her friend Allison...........

Question
Dear Ted:

Which of the following sentences is correctly punctuated?

1) Brandi and her friend Allison have both been getting tennis lessons from Mike.......

2) Brandi and her friend, Allison, have both been getting tennis lessons from Mike.......

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

1) Brandi and her friend Allison have both been getting tennis lessons from
Mike.......

2) Brandi and her friend, Allison, have both been getting tennis lessons from
Mike.......

*** Both are correct, but they have different meanings.

#1 -- Brandi has more than one friend.  Alice is the friend who has been getting tennis lessons.

#2 -- Brandi has just one friend.  The friend's name is "Allison."  Giving the name of the friend is just additional information that is not necessary.  The name is said to be "nonrestrictive."  That means it can be omitted from the sentence.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt