General Writing and Grammar Help/Switch into high gear

Question
Dear Ted:

Does the phrase/expression "to switch something into high gear" exist?

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

Also, is it possible "to switch ONESELF or SOMEONE into high gear"?

Many, many thanks for your kind help.

Paolo

Answer
Dear Paolo:

If so, when is it used?

Would you please give me some examples?

*** The phrase means to speed up someone or something.

EXAMPLES:

If we're going to have our project finished on time, we must switch into high gear.

With just one mile of the marathon left to go, the leader runner suddenly had a burst of energy, switching into high gear and leaving all the other runners far behind.

My neighbor was struggling up a hill while pushing her lawn mower.  She switched the machine into high gear, so that she could reach the top.

Ted

General Writing and Grammar Help

Ted Nesbitt