General Writing and Grammar Help/word form

can you tell the difference between these two words: definite and well-defined? which one should I use in the following sentences?
1. scientists follow several..............steps in investigating unexpected outbreaks of disease.
2. the money was lent for a .............period of time.

Hi Loccao,

The first sentence should be "well-defined" and the the second sentence should be "defined".

Essentially, both of these words just mean "specific", but well-defined means that there is more detail than just defined. Scientific processes are more defined, more detailed, than a loan term. Hence, well-defined goes with the scientists.  

General Writing and Grammar Help

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)