General Writing and Grammar Help/apostrophe usage

Is it acceptable to use an apostrophe as in the following example?

I forget my worries when I'm ridin' in the limo like a queen.

I prefer the sound of ridin' instead of riding in my piece.

Hi Patty!

Thanks for the interesting question!  Yes, it is not only acceptable, it is correct to use an apostrophe in that situation.  That is an example of "reduction", or omitting a sound when pronouncing a word.  Although the correction word is "riding", we often omit the "g" sound when we say the word.  If we wish to represent this pronunciation, we should use an apostrophe to signify its omission.  This is very common with words that end in "-ing".

Hope that helps!  Take care.

General Writing and Grammar Help

Anything to do with word usage and/or grammar, plus the fundamentals on almost any type of writing (especially creative writing, such as poetry, short stories, movie/dramatic scripts, etc.)

Majored in English literature in college; have published short stories and poems, currently teaching English as a second language to foreigners

As mentioned above, a bachelor's in English Literature and also a CELTA certification which enables me to teach English as a second language to foreigners.

Editor's Choice for a national poetry contest. 2nd prize for a short story in a city-wide short story contest.