General Writing and Grammar Help/apostrophe usage

Question
Is it acceptable to use an apostrophe as in the following example?

I forget my worries when I'm ridin' in the limo like a queen.

I prefer the sound of ridin' instead of riding in my piece.
Thanks

Answer
Hi Patty!

Thanks for the interesting question!  Yes, it is not only acceptable, it is correct to use an apostrophe in that situation.  That is an example of "reduction", or omitting a sound when pronouncing a word.  Although the correction word is "riding", we often omit the "g" sound when we say the word.  If we wish to represent this pronunciation, we should use an apostrophe to signify its omission.  This is very common with words that end in "-ing".

Hope that helps!  Take care.

Brian

General Writing and Grammar Help

Brian